Applesauce Bread is a huge holiday tradition in my family. Every Christmas, my mom would make dozens of loaves of applesauce bread, attach a cute Christmas ornament to each, and give them as gifts to family, neighbors, and all of my school, dance, and piano teachers.
This year, my mom decided to switch up her famous recipe by making it vegan! It only took a few small changes, and the bread is as good as ever! The recipe includes an easy egg substitute which really comes in handy whenever you are trying to ‘veganize’ a recipe.
Give this applesauce bread as a hostess gift or enjoy it as an after dinner treat. Whatever you choose, this bread is bound to be a hit!
(Lori’s) Vegan Applesauce Bread
(makes either 3 regular size or 5 mini loaves)
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons flax seed meal
1 ½ cup sugar
1 cup oil
2 cups applesauce (unsweetened is fine!)
2/3 cups almond milk (or soy milk)
3 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine water and flax seed meal in a bowl, stir, and place in refrigerator for 10 minutes (this substitutes for the original 4 eggs in the recipe)
- Combine sugar, oil, applesauce, milk, and “egg” in a bowl and stir
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chocolate chips in a bowl and stir
- Mix dry ingredients in with wet ingredients
- Pour batter into loaf pans and fill about ½ way
- Bake for 50-60 minutes for regular sized loaf pans and 40-45 minutes for mini loaf pans
- Enjoy your cruelty-free holiday treat!!
What are your favorite holiday baked goods? Share them below!